Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Freedom in Christ


This past Sunday, we looked at defending our freedom in Christ. We talked about how Legalism and Licentiousness (using the grace of God as a license to sin) interfere with experiencing our freedom in Christ.

I shared how we can so easily get trapped into following the rules of legalism. We begin to look at good things like reading the Bible, going to church, praying, witnessing, and doing ministry as a way to earn the Grace of God instead of as a way to experience the Grace of God. I praise God that he paid the price for my sin, in full, on the cross, through His son Jesus, and that I have been made free to experience His love and grace.

If I had to earn God’s favor through reading the Bible, going to church, praying, witnessing, and doing ministry, I would be doing these things out of guilt and fear. But since I am fully accepted with God through Jesus (Romans 5:1), these things are a joyful opportunity for me to experience God’s love and grace.

Do you fear approaching God in prayer because you have not kept up with your daily Bible readings? If so, you are trusting in your own works to make you acceptable to God and not the work of Jesus.

You and I have been completely forgiven of all of our sins! There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1) What a privilege we have to be able to come together each week at church and experience the grace and love of God together! What a joy we have to experience God in prayer! What a pleasure to experience God through reading his word!

May God increase our joy for these things, and keep us from ever seeing them as a burden!

- Bro. Dave

No comments: