Monday, January 4, 2010
10 Common Myths about Tithing
1) Myth - The New Testament never commands us to tithe.
Truth - Jesus expected it (Matt. 23:23; Luke 11:42) and Paul encouraged it (2 Cor 9:6, 7; 1 Cor. 16:2)
2) Myth - Nowhere in the Bible does it say to give a 10th of my income.
Truth - The Hebrew word for tithe, "ma'aser" literally means "tenth" and can be correctly translated as such.
3) Myth - I can't afford to tithe.
Truth - You can't afford not to tithe!
4) Myth - Tithing will make me rich!
Truth - Tithing may not make you rich, but it will make you blessed. (Jesus said blessed are the poor)
5) Myth - Tithing will make me poor!
Truth - God promises to bless the one who tithes.
6) Myth - All tithe money goes to the pastor.
Truth - The pastor has a set salary no matter what is gathered in an offering.
7) Myth - The Pastor knows the tithing records.
Truth - Not in this church, and not this pastor! (and I like it that way!)
8) Myth - If I do not tithe, I am not sinning.
Truth - God says you are robbing him, and that is a sin. (Malachi 3:8)
9) Myth - It is ok for me to tithe from my net income and not gross income.
Truth - Your gross income is your true income.
10) Myth - As long as I give my 10 percent, I can do whatever I want with the other 90 percent.
Truth - 100 percent of our money should be spent in a way that honors God.